Friday, January 22, 2010

Happy Birthday Dad



I've been a little retrospective today. When I got to work, I realized it was my dad's birthday, or would have been. He would have been 71 today.

In a perfect world, we would have been celebrating together at some point. Birthdays are a big deal in my family. It's that one day in the year that we can celebrate the individual. Show them they are special to us and loved.

But Alzheimer's changed all of that, at least for dad. He wouldn't have known today was his birthday. He wouldn't have known he was 71. He wouldn't have known me.

If your life has not been touched by this disease, count your blessings today. If it has, fight with me to end it in our generation. Tell everyone you know, ask for their help, spread the word in your community, give your money, give your time, pray, please just do something to make sure the world knows that one of the greatest thief's we know of is still on the loose.

That's not all...I am celebrating my dad today, too. I'm celebrating that he is released from this world, he is in heaven with our Savior, and I bet he's fishing with my grandpa. At least that's what he thought heaven would be like.

peace.

1 comment:

Debbie P. said...

Wow, what a great post in honor of your Dad! The picture is very good, too! It's good to keep the memories alive. I will be doing the same! :) Love you, Glynis!

Debbie