Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Delight....

So this morning I'm awake at 4am and my brain won't go back to sleep. After tossing and turning for a while, I turn on the light and decide to spend some time with God. Being the super-spiritual person that I am, with the detailed study plan for all Bible reading that I do, I use the very scientific F-L-O-P method. You know the one, you flop open your Bible and read where it lands....ANYWAY. This morning, it fell to Psalm 35:4

"Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart."

I've read this verse a million or so times and the first part really sticks out to me today. Delight yourself in the Lord...hmmm...delight myself.....delight. What does delight really mean? So I looked it up.

de·light
–noun

1.
a high degree of pleasure or enjoyment; joy; rapture: She takes great delight in her job.

2.
something that gives great pleasure: The dance was a delight to see.
–verb (used with object)

3.
to give great pleasure, satisfaction, or enjoyment to; please highly: The show delighted everyone.
–verb (used without object)

4.
to have great pleasure; take pleasure (fol. by in or an infinitive): She delights in going for long walks in the country.

happiness, gladness, delectation. Pleasure, enjoyment, delight, joy refer to the feeling of being pleased and happy. Pleasure is the general term: to take pleasure in beautiful scenery. Enjoyment is a quiet sense of well-being and pleasurable satisfaction: enjoyment at sitting in the shade on a warm day. Delight is a high degree of pleasure, usually leading to active expression of it: delight at receiving a hoped-for letter. Joy is a feeling of delight so deep and so lasting that one radiates happiness and expresses it spontaneously: joy at unexpected good news.

Here is my version now of Psalm 35:4

"Have a high degree of pleasure in the Lord, usually leading to active expression of it with a joy so deep and so lasting that one radiates happiness and expresses it spontaneously and He will give you the desires of your heart."

Hope it blesses you as much as it did me, even at, now 5:30 in the morning!

Have a delightful day!

No comments: