Wednesday, August 01, 2012

August 1st

I've been a mixed bag of emotions this week. We've all heard about Chick-Fil-A and all the press surrounding their founder's statements. If you haven't heard, how was China during your visit?  (sarcasm, sorry)

Anyway, here's where the mixed bag comes in. I am a follower of Christ. I believe in God and I try to follow him. But the amount of HATE I have heard spewed from both sides of this issue has made me sad, mad, embarrassed, outraged, etc. Hence, the mixed bag.

We live in a free country. A country where it is our right to believe as we wish, spend our money as we wish, support what we wish and do what we wish. My question is "How does what I wish reflect my belief in God?"

I have many gay friends, I love them. I have many fat friends, I love them. I have many gossipy friends, I love them. I have friends who struggle with other sin issues, I love them. And I hope when I am all of the above and more, they love me. Because God does. The only constant wish I am sure I want to exercise is this, "I love because He first loved me." 1 John 4:19

I don't have all the answers but I do know that slinging hate around only hurts those it hits.

Let's try love, it worked great for Jesus.

peace.

2 comments:

barb said...

I'm not sure if I was sleeping when my personal freedom to believe and speak as my conscience dictates fell by the wayside, but this sure has been a wake-up call. We are losing our freedom of religious expression and it concerns me greatly. We must pray, love and tell the truth like we've never prayed, loved, and told the truth before. I think there's alot more chikin' in our future.
love you, sister
b

Sherrie said...

Amen and amen.