Monday, February 13, 2012

Whitney Houston

There are times when the death of someone you've never known still causes reflection. When Michael Jackson died, I reflected on how his music was the soundtrack to much of my youth.

When I heard about Whitney Houston, I stopped and sighed. She was barely older than I am. Her voice has inspired me over the years. I loved her spark, her joy. Her talent is such a great loss. But when I got to really thinking, her talent has been greatly unused for a time. In recent years, she has seemed so sad, so bereft of all the effervescence she had been known for. Addiction and abuse had definitely taken it's toll.

One of my favorite Whitney moments

How sad is it that this beautiful, talented, gifted woman succumbed to a life of abuse, addiction and neglect?

But for the grace of God, there go I. What talents have I hidden under a bushel? Not a bushel of addiction but hidden none-the-less.

I want to be a faithful servant, investing my talents as God leads.

peace.

No comments: