Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Snarky

I'm not sure when this word was invented or if it is even a real word, but sometimes it definitely describes my thoughts and moods. It's those days that I burn out my sarcasm light with so much of it, mostly running through my head. I have to be careful on these snarky days, I could really hurt someone. I've done it before. It hurt me, too. More than I can ever express.

There was a young single mom at our church. We were rehearsing for a Christmas program and while taking a break, just goofing around everyone was kind of joking around and she poked a little fun at me. I poked back. She disappeared. Literally, I have never seen her again since that day. My comment was not intended to mortally wound, but even "joking" can cause great pain when it is mixed with sarcasm and truth. I didn't mean it, I wish I could take it back, I wrote her a long letter apologizing, I called and she made her mom talk to me. I groveled to the point that it didn't change anything and to this day, I regret it. I wish I had taken one moment, swished it around and decided to swallow it instead of poking at her.


Proverbs has a lot to say about the tongue. I've experienced some of these and am striving for some of these.


12:18 There is one whose rash words are like sword thrusts, but the tongue of the wise brings healing.


31:26 She opens her mouth with wisdom, and the teaching of kindness is on her tongue.


21:23 Whoever keeps his mouth and his tongue keeps himself out of trouble.


18:21 Death and life are in the power of the tongue, and those who love it will eat its fruits.


So even on my snarky days, I hope to be quiet more than anything. Kind of goes back to what I told my kids "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all."


peace.

2 comments:

barb said...

I'll be praying for her, Glynis.
xoxo
barb

gr8fulg said...

Thanks Barb, it was not a recent event, happened 13 years ago. I hope she is better, but I'll never forget the lesson learned.