Friday, July 24, 2009

What's in a Name?

All my life, I've both loved and hated my name. Glynis. It's unique to be sure, but as a kid I never found it on a pencil, those little license plates or a keychain. It has both plagued me and set me apart. I almost always spell my name in conjunction with saying it. "What's the name on that order?" "Glynis. G-L-Y-N-I-S."

I find it interesting the numerous responses I get when someone learns my name. I also enjoy the numerous misspellings. Most people respond by saying it's unique, beautiful, interesting, or they just look at me with a blank stare. It has been spelled Glynnis, Glennis, Gleyniece (my personal favorite), Gleynis and the list goes on.

So what really is in a name? My name means "Of the glen". Wow, world changing potential there! When we chose our daughters names, we just liked them. We had no idea names could mean something. Way before baby name books were popular. Or we were just clueless.

I have a dear friend who recently changed her name. At some point in her life, she became aware that the name chosen for her represented someone who eventually caused great pain in her life. Because of who the name represented, my dear friend was reminded every time she thought of her name of the pain. So she set herself free from the reminder, she took a new name. A name she chose because of the wonderful things it represented.

Makes me think of this scripture...Isaiah 9:6 "For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given; and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace." and this one...Matthew 1:21 "She will give birth to a son, and you are to name him Jesus, because he is the one who will save his people from their sins." and lastly...Phillipians 2:10 "That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth;"

A name can be a powerful thing. Something that defines us, identifies us, sets us apart. Jesus' name has the power to save, heal, redeem, comfort, rebuke and surround with love. Call upon his name and he will meet you where you are. Call upon his name and he'll give you a new name, new heart, new life and a new future.

What names are you calling yourself these days? Is it time to change your name?

peace.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Goodmorning! Glynis,
I loved your blog. I have always loved unique and different names. I think your name is beautiful! For me in the 70's, growin up as a military brat,with a name Dana, It was not fun, I was Going to different schools all of the time. One time there was a boy named Dana and everyone teased me badly about it being a boys name. then i had to go by Dana Sue once that was worse..how country at the time I thought my name was. But,now my mom is passed I love my name. She may or may not have thought about my name. her choice was to Have me or not to Have me. Today..i am so glad she Had me. Thnx! for your post.I read and enjoyed bible verses. With love a new friend,
Dana