Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Community

I'm hearing this word a great deal recently. We have missional communities at church, professional communities, communities we live in, even a Twitter community. I do love Twitter...

Anyway, I'm going to a different community than I've ever been to before. A community where orphaned children live on the streets. Support themselves by whatever means necessary. Surrounded by another community where adults either ignore, support or exploit these children. Surrounded by yet another community of government officials who turn a blind eye to the suffering of their people to line their own pockets and care for their own needs. Surrounded by a much larger community, called the world, who sometimes notices, sometimes helps, sometimes chooses to look away.

I'm going to this community for a short time. I hope to be effective while I'm there. I know they will leave an impression on my heart for the rest of my life.

I will come back to my community changed forever. I hope I'm ready, willing and able. But I rest in the knowledge that in my weakness, God's strength is made perfect. 2 Corinthians 12:9 "But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me."

What do your communities look like?

peace.

No comments: