Wednesday, September 14, 2005

I Pledge Allegiance

I've just heard on the news that the Pledge of Allegiance is illegal in California. Well excuse me! If the words--I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America and to the republic for which it stands. One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all--offends you, feel free to move to another country. Really, we won't make you stay. We won't make you say the pledge. I hear France is nice this time of year and it sounds like you'll fit right in.
But if you choose to stay, stop tearing apart the foundation of the nation whose freedoms you revel in. Stop shooting at the very freedoms you enjoy, stop invalidating the sacrifices made by thousands of Americans who provided them, stop tying up the court system with something that is so very assanine it should be embarrassing to you to litigate. If you don't want to say the pledge, fine, just keep your mouth shut, literally.

1 comment:

OurayDreamer said...

Welcome, fellow baby blogger, to the fun that is blogging. I really enjoyed reading yours and will mark it to come back. It is fun to catch up with old friends in this way. So many things on which to comment (great job!) but I am most struck by the Cindy Sheehan quote. As the mother of a 19 year old son, I know how important it is to validate him as a man - to care greatly what he thinks and to value his opinion. Sometimes mothers make things much worse by getting involved on behalf of the men in their lives rather than allowing them, encouraging them,to be men. If she wanted to protest the war, I will defend her right to do so but she is continuing to immasculate her son and is trying to make valueless the decisions a young man made. So sad...