Sunday, August 02, 2009

I made it to Mombasa!



I'll start by saying flying is not my favorite. I appreciate the speed of the travel, but being stuffed into a little seat, not being able to move, surrounded on all sides is just not my idea of a good time. But, to get to Kenya, it's the only way to travel!

And I'm here! My ankles are the size of a great piece of firewood. Vanity has been reduced to worrying only about not stinking too bad. It is warm here and humid. Even though this is winter for Kenya, it's much like an Oklahoma spring to me. God has blessed us with a breeze and as I look out over the Indian Ocean just a few feet away, I am blessed.

We traveled for 2 days, unpacked and sorted most of yesterday and today, we are finally rested and looking forward to the week to come. Tomorrow, over 300 pastors and 100 of their wives will register for the Leadership Development Institute, which is why we are here.

What strikes me is that even in this absolutley beautiful country, so rich in many resources, inhabited by a generous, joyful people, the poverty and struggle is ever-present, ever with us. I look across the manicured grounds of our compound across a great rock wall to the Indian Ocean. Standing at the wall are people who are selling their wares, offering rides on camels, children who cry out "we are the poor" and it breaks my heart. But I cannot fix it all. I cannot change their worlds.

But Jesus can bring them hope and He is what I share with them. He is why I'm here. I'm so grateful God sent me to Africa for such a time as this.

peace.

1 comment:

barb said...

I can't wait to hear more of what God is doing. I have been praying and singing over you all, even though you can't hear me. May each and every lost person, be found by Him.

love you, g

b